Āsana & Beyond 2024 Yoga Teacher Training
Svādhyāya, the fourth niyama (observances or duties) listed by Patañjali in the Yoga Sūtras, translates as “one’s own reading” or “self-study.” Āsana & Beyond merits svādhyāya as the foundation of our 200-hour Comprehensive Teacher Training. Students explore the art of leading a yoga practice through personal experience, personal practice/study, and authentically themed inspiration while honoring the genuine traditions of one of India’s most revered philosophical systems, Yoga.
Through immersion in physical practice (āsana and vinyāsa krama), philosophy, prāṇāyāma( breath), mudrā (seals), cakras (subtle body), as well as anatomy and physiology, students participate in an authentic approach to Yoga. Our students are encouraged to utilize self-experience and textual research to develop a personal sādhanā (daily spiritual practice). This unique experience and knowledge via self-study provides the confidence to teach Yoga to others via public classes, virtually, or in private lessons. However, the course is also for practitioners who want to enrich and deepen their own practice.
Āsana & Beyond is the ideal training for self-motivated individuals committed to experiential and scholarly approaches to the Yoga tradition. The course expects total attendance, an eagerness to learn genuine Yoga’s many practices, and a commitment to study outside class hours. We welcome any level of experience. The only requirements are commitment and a positive attitude.
How is Āsana & Beyond different from other trainings?
1. The Schedule: The training is scheduled every other weekend so students have time to integrate new ideas and philosophies into their daily lives. Many trainings are scheduled as retreats or marathon-style back-to-back weekends. However, because we work with deep philosophies, we believe in time to steep in presentations of ideas, old and new.
2. Practice Teaching: Trainees are teaching to their peers by our second training weekend and almost every weekend for the remainder of training. Students also have the opportunity to teach the Astro Gong Yoga members in one of our three weekly community classes. Proceeds from the community classes are donated to Prison Yoga & Meditation, a non-profit sharing the practice of Yoga with incarcerated individuals in Southern to Central California.
3. Guest Teachers: Guest teachers are yogic professionals with 500-HR YTT, Master’s Degrees, or Ph. Ds from diverse background.
4. Daily Sādhanā: We require a personal daily practice with journal entries. Your sādhanā will enhance your personal experience with Yoga through commitment, mental clarity, and accessing inner guidance.
The training explores:
- Proto-Yoga & The Vedas
- The Bhagavad-Gītā
- Yoga Sutras of Patañjali
- Mantra & Nāda Yoga (with co-founder and resident Gong Master Lou)
- Kuṇḍalinī Yoga (with co-founder Emily)
- Modern Postural Yoga via the lineage of Tirumalai Krishnamacharya
- Transnational Yoga & Colonialism
- Inclusivity & Ethics
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Teaching Methods
This in-person teacher training, lead by Shaun McNally, will take place at Astro Gong Yoga over 20 weeks from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on the following dates.
In-person 2024 dates:
January 13 & 14
January 27 & 28
February 10 & 11
February 24 & 25
March 9 & 10
March 23 & 24
April 6 & 7
April 20 & 21
May 4 & 5
May 18 & 19
June 1 & 2
We’re offering an early bird special before Friday December 29 2023 of $3,400.00 if you sign up here, after which the price will increase to $3,850.00 but you can set up a payment plan with us to help spread out this cost over the course of the training.
Please contact the studio directly to ask any questions you may have or set up a payment plan by calling (323) 433-7108 and ask to speak to Emily. You can also meet Shaun and our Āsana & Beyond alumni in person at our YTT Q&A on Friday December 1 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. at Astro Gong Yoga. Please reserve you spot here.